Look. Listen. Learn. Be aware. Fire can happen anywhere. The National Fire Protection Association states that 4 out of 5 U.S. fire deaths occur in the home. Look, Listen, and Learn how you can prevent deadly fires.
Top three causes for home fires:
- Cooking Equipment
Cooking accounts for 47% of fires, and 20% of fire-related deaths
- Heating Equipment
Heating accounts for 15% of fires and 19% of fire-related deaths
Electrical accounts for 9% of fires, and 18% of fire-related deaths
2/3 of fire deaths occur in homes with missing or non-functioning smoke alarms
- Test smoke alarms monthly
- Change battery yearly
- Replace alarm every 10 years
Install smoke alarms in:
- Every bedroom
- Outside every sleeping area
- On every level of your home, including the basement
- Learn two ways out of every room
- Have a qualified electrician inspect your electrical system every 10 years
- Have a qualified electrical install AFCI breakers and receptacles. The CPSC estimates that 50% of electrical fires can be prevented with AFCIs.
- Extension cords cause an estimated 3,300 home fires a year. Never use them as permanent wiring.